School social workers
The goal of the social work program is to partner directly with families, educators, students, and our communities to address and overcome barriers to academic achievement at the elementary level. Ultimately this partnership provides the necessary support and guidance that are essential to academic success and sound life decisions.
School social workers are licensed mental health professionals trained to provide support and interventions to children and families proactively and in times of emotional/mental health crisis.
They do this by providing individual, small group and family support. Sessions focus on:
- Improving social, emotional and academic functioning
- Positive reinforcement
- Behavior modification
- Specific skill development
- Building trusting connections with each student and their family
- Direct consultation and linkage to appropriate community resources for families
- Help children and their families meet basic needs and overcome barriers to education
Please note that social work settings are created around the ever-changing and unique needs of each school and may vary throughout the year and at each site. Please contact your child’s school social worker for more information.
- CALM App
- Conscious Discipline: https://consciousdiscipline.com/covid-19-five-helpful-responses-for-families/
- Minnesota Department of Health Behavioral Health and Emergency Preparedness: https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/ep/behavioral/index.html#covid19
- National Association of School Psychologists "Helping Kids Cope with the Changes from COVID-19": https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-climate-safety-and-crisis/health-crisis-resources/helping-children-cope-with-changes-resulting-from-covid-19
- Parent/Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope With the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19: https://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/resources/fact-sheet/outbreak_factsheet_1.pdf
- Minnesota Department of Health "Supporting Mental Health during COVID-19: https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1586793971/district196org/auuaxcxxtmmehnvybxpg/MDHMentalWell-beingduringCOVID.pdf